Homemade Irresistible Unicorn Taffy Bait
Homemade Irresistible Unicorn Taffy Bait (Salt Water Taffy)
Full of colorful swirls, sweet candy flavor, and fluffy texture, this Irresistible Unicorn Taffy Bait will catch more than magical unicorns and happiness.
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups corn syrup
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon flavoring (cotton candy, lemon, peppermint, vanilla, watermelon, licorice, etc) flavor to taste
- coloring (gel preferred)
- 2-3 tablespoons butter to use when working with or pulling taffy
In a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, combine sugar, water, corn syrup, and salt. Stir constantly until sugar has dissolved.
Cook until hard ball stage (255-265 degrees).
Remove from heat; stir in flavoring (and coloring if you prefer).
Pour into lightly greased or lined pan to cool. Cool until comfortable to handle.
Butter hands. Gather taffy and pull (or use a taffy hook or taffy puller machine).
Pull until taffy mixture has turned a dull white and doubled in size. (If hand pulling, this may take up to 30 minutes).
Roll into a 1-inch round log and cut with scissors greased with butter. Wrap in waxed paper and store in ziplock bag to retain freshness.
- Use a calibrated candy thermometer.
- If taffy feels stiff, you can dip your hands in water and continue pulling. The taffy will become stringy but as the water is incorporated, the taffy will soften and stick. If using this method, avoid adding more than 2 tablespoons or the taffy will become too soft and may crystallize as it is stored.
- Hand pulling taffy may take 30 minutes or more. Using a taffy hook or taffy puller machine will speed up the process.
- red/blue = purple
- red/yellow = orange
- blue/yellow = green
*This post may contain affiliate links. In order to support this blog and continue providing free content, I may receive a commission from purchases you make through the links in this post.