- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 2 cups milk, scalded
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, plus 1/4 cup
- 1 egg, beaten
- 6 cups flour, plus flour for kneading and rolling dough out
- Dissolve yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in warm water.
- Pour flour into large bowl or mixer.
- Add scalded milk, butter, sugar, and salt. Give a quick stir. Add yeast mixture and egg.
- Mix until flour is incorporated. Continue mixing for 30 to 60 seconds. Dough will be very soft and sticky.
- Let rise until doubled in size (about 30 min to 1 hour depending on the temperature of your home).
- Punch down, divide dough into two pieces. Roll each half into a circle that's 3/4 to 1 inch thick. Spread butter over top of dough.
- Cut each circle like a pizza into 12 pieces.
- Starting with the wider (outside edge of dough, roll each piece toward the center. The butterhorn rolls should look similar to a crescent roll.
- Place on a ungreased cookie sheet with room to spread. Let rise about 15 minutes.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until tops and edges are golden brown.
- while still warm, bast tops with melted butter.
You can scald milk in a microwave (about 1 minute). You can mix the dough in a large bowl or stand mixer.
To avoid scrambling the egg mixture, add 1/4 cup of the hot milk mixture to the eggs to temper the eggs.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 227 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 14mg Sodium: 157mg Carbohydrates: 39g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 5g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 5g