- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2/3 cup buttermilk, or regular milk plus 3 teaspoons vinegar or lemon juice to sour)
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
Cinnamon Sugar Mixture:
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream butter and sugar together. Add egg and vanilla.
- Hand mix milk and dry ingredients only until dry ingredients are ALMOST incorporated in. It will be lumpy.
- Fold in cinnamon sugar mixture. Do not fully incorporate. The dry pockets of cinnamon sugar are what give these cookies the "swirl."
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies begin to brown around the edges and bottom.
You can also use this recipe to make muffins in place of cookies. Makes about 12 muffins. Fill muffin liners 3/4 full, bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Recipe adapted from: The Semi-Sweet Sisters