- 5-6 medium onions, about 3-4 lbs
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme, on the steam or finely chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 8 cups beef broth
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Salt & Pepper
- cornstarch slurry, 2 Tablespoons cornstarch and 1/4 cup cold water
- slices croutons, bread or baguette
- slices cheese, (provolone, Gruyere or Swiss)
- Slice onions along grain (root to top). Place in crockpot. Top with butter and sprinkle with about a 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. Onions will begin to sweat and cook down. They will turn golden brown--become sweet and caramelized.
- Once the onions have caramelized add thyme, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, salt & pepper to taste and cornstarch slurry. Cook on high for 30-45 minutes until hot and slightly thickened.
- Pour into oven safe bowls, top with croutons and cheese slice. Broil in oven 1-2 minutes until cheese is melted and begins to brown. Serve immediately.
Stir onions occasionally will insure even cooking and prevent onions from burning.
If onions seem to be sticking to the crockpot you may add a 1/2 cup beef broth.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 369Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 1421mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 14g