Crockpot French Onion Soup
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 6 hours
Total Time: 6 hours 10 minutes
This Crockpot French Onion soup is delicious with it's rich beef stock, caramelized sweet onions, hint of thyme and cheesy top layer.
- 5-6 medium onions, about 3-4 lbs
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme, on the steam or finely chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 8 cups beef broth
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Salt & Pepper
- cornstarch slurry, 2 Tablespoons cornstarch and 1/4 cup cold water
- slices croutons, bread or baguette
- slices cheese, (provolone, Gruyere or Swiss)
- Slice onions along grain (root to top). Place in crockpot. Top with butter and sprinkle with about a 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. Onions will begin to sweat and cook down. They will turn golden brown--become sweet and caramelized.
- Once the onions have caramelized add thyme, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, salt & pepper to taste and cornstarch slurry. Cook on high for 30-45 minutes until hot and slightly thickened.
- Pour into oven safe bowls, top with croutons and cheese slice. Broil in oven 1-2 minutes until cheese is melted and begins to brown. Serve immediately.
Stir onions occasionally will insure even cooking and prevent onions from burning.
If onions seem to be sticking to the crockpot you may add a 1/2 cup beef broth.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 369Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 1421mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 14g
Another great recipe I can add to my list. Thank you again..
Seriously! It is so delicious especially on a cold, busy day!
Mary, you are welcome. It makes me so happy to hear you might give this recipe a try. It really is so delicious. Let me know how you like it.
HAHA… that is the number one reason I love this recipe. We love french onion soup but when making it on the stove, you’re stuck stirring it for a long time.
Awesome! Let me know how it turns out for you.
You are so welcome Ashleigh! We love this soup especially on cold days. Let me know how it turns out for you.
Rachel Ritlop says
This sounds so delicious! I can’t wait to try it!
Rachel | The Confused Millennial
This looks so delish! Definitely trying. Happy weekend!
French onion is one of my fav soups and this recipe looks wonderful! Thank you for sharing your amazing recipe, I can’t wait to try it!
I love the addition of Worcestershire sauce in the broth–I’ve never done that before. I’ll have to try your recipe out the next time I’m in the mood for french onion soup!
I haven’t had a french onion soup in forever! I love my crockpot and how easy meals come out, so I can just pretty much cut down on the normal time of cooking and cleaning. I’m going to have to make this soon!
I couldn’t tell you the last time that I had french onion soup. My mom used to make it for us all the time.
Kimberly @ Berly's Kitchen says
French Onion Soup is my husband’s favorite! I’ve never made it in the slow cooker but may give it a try after reading this. Looks a lot easier than stirring it on the stove.
Thank you for posting this recipe. I have been craving French Onion Soup, because it’s been so cold out. Looking forward to making it.
Kassy Randazzo says
Ok.. YUMMM!!! I’m a HUGE fan of French Onion and I cannot wait to try this soup!
Jessica Bradshaw (@loveyoumoretoo) says
This sounds delicious and perfect for the cold weather!!
Yum! That looks so amazing!
Belle | One Awesome Momma
So I can seriously make french onion soup in the crockpot. Now this is my find of the day.