Enjoy the sweetness of fall with these easy-to-make Pumpkin Rolls, topped with smooth cream cheese frosting – perfect for cozy gatherings and sweet cravings!
My easy Pumpkin Rolls recipe is a fall favorite in our home! This delightful treat combines the warm flavors of pumpkin and spices, wrapped in a soft, tender sweet bread embrace, and crowned with luscious cream cheese frosting. Whether you’re a seasoned baker or trying this for the first time, these pumpkin rolls are sure to become a fall staple in your home too. Let’s start with the basics. What you’ll need to make them yourself.
Making Pumpkin Rolls is surprisingly straightforward, requiring ingredients that are likely already in your pantry. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Warm water
- instant yeast
- pumpkin puree – half of a 15 oz can, the other half will be used to make the filling
- Pumpkin puree
- pumpkin spice or cinnamon
Easy Cream Cheese Frosting:
This cream cheese frosting is so easy and quick to make. It’s my go to cream cheese recipe unless I’m looking for a special fall twist, then I’ll make my Pumpkin Spiced Frosting (which would be great with these Pumpkin Rolls).
- Full-fat cream cheese
- salted butter
- high-quality vanilla
- powdered sugar
To ensure your baking experience is as smooth as the frosting on these rolls, you’ll need a few kitchen tools:
- Large mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Rolling pin
- Baking sheet
- Hand or stand mixer
- Floss or string
How To Make Pumpkin Rolls:
- Begin by preparing the pumpkin dough. Combine warm water, sugar, and yeast, followed by the addition of oil, egg, and pumpkin puree.
- Gradually mix in flour and salt to form a sticky dough, then knead in the stand mixer using the bread hook or on a floured surface until smooth.
- Allow the dough to rest and rise in a warm place for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- While the dough is resting, prepare the filling by mixing pumpkin puree, sugar, and spices together.
Preparing the Rolls:
- Next, roll out the dough into a large rectangle about 13 by 18 inches and about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick.
- Evenly spread the filling, and roll up into a log. Pinch to seal the edge.
- To cut the rolls, use a piece of floss or thin string. Place the floss under the dough log then bringing the floss around the dough and crossing the two ends together, pull until the roll is cut from the log.
- Bake until done then cool completely before frosting.
Easy Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Create the frosting by beating cream cheese and butter, then gradually adding vanilla and powdered sugar for a smooth, spreadable consistency.
- Frost rolls and enjoy.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I use fresh pumpkin in this recipe?
Yes, fresh pumpkin can be used but ensure it’s cooked and pureed to match the consistency of canned puree. Although, you can repurpose your Halloween pumpkins for this recipe, I would highly recommend using sugar pumpkins. Most canned pumpkin you buy in the store is made with sugar pumpkins. It is sweet and more flavorful than carving pumpkins. If you decide for the fresh pumpkin option, you can usually find sugar pumpkins in the produce section of most grocery stores from early October to November.
Difference Between Pumpkin Pie Filling vs Pumpkin Puree:
Pumpkin puree is only pumpkin, no additional ingredients. Pumpkin pie filling includes pumpkin puree, spices and sugar. It is very important to use 100% pumpkin puree in this recipe as we don’t want to add any additional sugar or spices to the pumpkin rolls.
Can I use store-bought frosting to top the pumpkin rolls?
Yes, though homemade frosting is recommended for the best flavor you certainly can use your favorite store-bought frosting. If you aren’t a fan of cream cheese you can always make homemade icing. I shared a fantastic, easy recipe recently that only takes about 3 minutes to make.
How thick should I roll the dough before adding the filling and rolling into a log?
Aim for about 1/2 to 3/4 inches thick when rolling out the dough. This will offer a great balance between dough and filling.
Keep your unfrosted pumpkin rolls fresh by storing them in an airtight container or bag at room temperature, where they’ll stay delicious for up to 4 days.
Since these rolls have a cream cheese frosting, it’s best to refrigerate them within 6 hours. In the fridge, they’ll keep nicely for up to 4 days. If you can’t refrigerate them and they need to stay out for more than a few hours, try my easy homemade icing recipe as an alternative to the cream cheese frosting. This way, you can still enjoy your tasty treats without any worry!
LET’S MAKE PUMPKIN ROLLS!
I hope you enjoy making and devouring these Pumpkin Rolls as much as we do! They’re the perfect blend of fall flavors and comforting sweetness. For the detailed recipe with exact measurements and step-by-step instructions, the recipe card is below.
- 1 cup warm water, 8oz
- 1/4 cup sugar, about 25g
- 2 tablespoons instant yeast, 28g
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 7 1/2 ounces pumpkin puree, (half of a 15oz can)
- 4 1/2 cups flour, about 540g + more for rolling
- 1 teaspoon salt, if using sea salt add an additional 1/2 teaspoon
- 7 1/2 ounces pumpkin puree, (1/2 a 15oz can)
- 3/4 cup sugar, 150g
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin spice or cinnamon
Easy Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 oz Full-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
- 1/2 Tablespoon high-quality vanilla
- 3 cups powdered sugar, about 375g
- In a large bowl, add warm water. Add sugar and yeast. Mix until dissolved.
- Add oil, egg, and pumpkin puree.
- Mix in 3 1/2 cups flour and salt until dough forms. The dough will be quite sticky at this point.
- Pour the dough onto floured surface kneading in the remaining 1 cup flour. Knead for 1-2 minutes until all the flour has been absorbed. The dough will be tacky but should not be sticky. Place back in bowl, set in warm place to rest and rise for 15 minutes.
- Roll dough out into a rectangle that is about 3/4 inch thick. The rectangle should be about 12 inches by 16-18 inches. This will allow you to cut 12 rolls, each being about 1 1/2 inches thick.
- Spread with pumpkin filling and sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Carefully roll up. Using floss or string, cut 12 rolls that are about 1 1/2 inches thick then place on a greased cookie sheet.
- Cover and let rest/rise in warm place for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Bake at 350°F for about 22 to 25 minutes or until a thermometer in the center of the roll reach 195°F or higher. If temping make sure it is in the dough and not the filling.
- Let cool before frosting.
- Mix pumpkin puree, sugar, and cinnamon together. Set aside until filling is needed.
Easy Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Begin by placing your softened full-fat cream cheese and salted butter in a large mixing bowl. These ingredients should be at room temperature to ensure your frosting is smooth and free of lumps.
- Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and butter together on medium speed until they’re well combined and creamy. This process aerates the fats, making for a light and fluffy frosting. It usually takes about 1 to 2 minutes, depending on the warmth of your ingredients.
- Once your base is smooth, add a generous tablespoon of high-quality vanilla extract. Mix for another 15 to 30 seconds until the vanilla is fully incorporated.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar to the cream cheese mixture. Start on low speed to incorporate the sugar without sending them airborne. Once they’re mostly integrated, increase the speed to medium and beat until the mixture is completely smooth and has a light, spreadable consistency (about 1-2 minutes).
- Don’t forget to periodically scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a spatula. This step is crucial to ensure all the ingredients are evenly mixed and that your frosting is uniform in texture and flavor.
Adjust Frosting Consistency: Check the consistency of your frosting. If you plan to spread it with a knife, it should be ready to go — thick yet pliable. However, if you're looking for a more stiff frosting, you may want to thicken it slightly with cornstarch or more powdered sugar. Consider adding 1/4 cup cornstarch to thicken or up to 1 cup additional powdered sugar. Be aware that adding additional sugar will sweeten the frosting.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 449Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 247mgCarbohydrates: 69gFiber: 3gSugar: 37gProtein: 6g