These Baked Basil Pesto Chicken Bites are great as an appetizer, fun finger food or dinner (and the kiddos will love them too). They’re little gourmet chicken nuggets for grownups and kids alike. Picky-eater approved and a healthier choice alternative. The basil pesto gives these nuggets a hint of vibrant green and fresh basil flavor while the crispy breading is light and crunchy. Pair these bites with your favorite marinara or ranch sauce and it’ll be a home run. Promise!
They are so easy to make. You can even prep ahead of time and bake when you’re ready. Start by rinsing, drying and cutting up your chicken into bite-sized pieces. Full printable recipe below.
Once your chicken is cut place it in a bowl and add your pesto (I love this homemade basil pesto).
Now just mix the chicken bites until they’re coated evenly.
Next, in a separate bowl or dish mix buttermilk and eggs (salt and pepper if you’d like). In another bowl or dish mix bread crumbs, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese. Now make a little assembly line starting with the chicken, then the egg mixture and finally the bread crumb mixture.
Once the chicken has been coated, dunked, and rolled in the bread crumb mixture, place them on a greased or lined cookie sheet.
Bake and serve with your favorite marinara or ranch sauce. You and your family or guests are going to love these!
If you are looking for a cool appetizer or want a fun new way to serve chicken nuggets, this is it. These will become a fast go-to family favorite; plain chicken nuggets won’t cut it with the kids anymore.
Basil Pesto Chicken Bites
- 2 lbs chicken breast, boneless, skinless cubed 1"x1"
- 1/3 cup basil pesto
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs, crackers, panko crushed
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- pan oil spray
- dipping sauce (marinara, ranch, etc)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare cookie sheet with liner or spray with pan oil spray.
- Place chicken in a large bowl. Add basil pesto and mix until coated.
- In small bowl beat eggs and buttermilk together. Set aside.
- In another small bowl mix bread crumbs, cheese, garlic powder, and salt and pepper. Blend and set aside.
- Form assembly line by taking a piece of chicken carefully dipping it into the egg mixture then rolling in the bread crumb mixture. Place on prepared cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining chicken pieces.
- Lightly spray chicken with oil spray.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes until chicken reaches 165 degrees internally.
- Serve hot with your choice of dipping sauce.
What are your go-to family favorite recipes?