Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup with homemade noodles is a delicious classic. Hearty chunks of chicken, pumpkin-shaped carrots, and soft homemade egg noodles make it a great soup for fall time. Whether you’ve caught an icky cough or trying to ward off the cold weather outside, this hot, delicious soup is sure to warm you right up.My family loves this soup, especially my husband. I could dare say it’s his favorite kind of soup (which is great for me because it’s easy to make and I like it too). These are the ingredients I use. You can find the full printable recipe and directions below.
How to Make Pumpkin-Shaped Carrots:This is how I made the carrots look like little pumpkins. I think they are so fun for Fall. My girls absolutely loved them.
How to…This soup seems like a process… it kind of is, BUT it’s worth it. First get your veggies sliced and diced.In a large pot bring to boil the chicken broth (I use water and granulated chicken bouillon, 1 cup water to 1 teaspoon bouillon). Cut the chicken breast into 2 or 3 large chunks and add them to the boiling broth. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Add the veggies and continue simmering another 5 minutes. Pull the chicken out and let it rest for a few minutes. This helps keep the chicken moist and it’s really hot when it first comes out of the broth. Once cooled a bit, shred or dice it. Once the veggies are crisp and tender (not soft, mushy) add back the shredded chicken. Bring the homemade chicken noodle soup base back to a rolling boil.Once the broth is at a rolling boil the soup is ready for the homemade egg noodles. Drop in the homemade egg noodles. The noodles only take 3-5 minutes to cook. They are done when they begin to float. Turn the heat to low and add the parsley, salt, and pepper to taste. You’re done! Pretty easy, right?
Note with homemade egg noodles:You can make these homemade egg noodles ahead of time! I would recommend having them ready before you start your broth. If you make them far in advance (2-4 days) make sure you let them dry out or store them in the fridge.
Printable recipe and directions:
- 1 batch homemade egg noodles
- 1 lb chicken breast, boneless skinless
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 2 cups onions, 1 large, 2 small, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 8-10 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup parsley, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot bring to boil chicken broth (I use water and granulated chicken bouillon, 1 cup water to 1 teaspoon bouillon).
- Cut chicken breast into 2 or 3 large chunks and add it to your boiling broth. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add your veggies and continue simmering another 5 minutes.
- Remove chicken and let rest for a few minutes then shred. (Letting the chicken cool slightly will help it retain moisture).
- Once veggies are crisp-tender (about 5 to10 more minute) add chicken back in.
- Bring soup to a rolling boil and drop homemade egg noodles in. The noodles only take 3-5 minutes to cook. They will float when ready.
- Turn heat to low and add parsley, salt and pepper to taste.
If you don't have time to make homemade egg noodles you can also buy pre-made egg noodles in the freezer section or pasta section of your grocery store. They will not cook as fast as they're fresh. Make sure to read the cooking directions. Cook time will need to be adjusted to accommodate and you may need to add 1-2 extra cups of broth.