Amazingly delicious homemade Green Enchiladas made with the BEST homemade green enchilada sauce, chicken, and cheese.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Are you an enchilada lover? I love enchiladas, especially green enchiladas loaded with chicken, cheese, and HOMEMADE green enchilada sauce.
If you have a love for this kind of food, you are on the right recipe!
This dinner is perfect for those crazy, busy weeknights when you only have 30 minutes to throw something together. To make this meal as simple, quick, and easy as it deserves to be, I use my homemade roasted green enchilada sauce. You can check out the recipe HERE.
A while ago I learned that store bought just doesn’t cut it. These green enchiladas are the best because of the homemade green enchilada sauce. I love making a double or triple batch of the sauce and can it for later.
HOMEMADE VS STORE-BOUGHT GREEN ENCHILADA SAUCE:
I hate to be the bearer of bad new but store-bought green enchilada sauce doesn’t have a chance against my homemade enchilada sauce. One time I told myself it was ok to use store-bought in this recipe. I took one bite and immediately regretted making it with store-bought.
Maybe you have a favorite green enchilada sauce. Maybe you have a family recipe. All I ask is that you try this recipe with some homemade sauce before you reach for the store-bought stuff. I know homemade sauce can be a bit of a labor of love but the depth of flavors you get when you make it yourself is so much more than what a tin can (or glass jar) from the store can offer.
With that said, if you make these green enchiladas using already made (homemade or store-bought) this recipe comes together crazy fast. Like five minutes fast, ten minutes tops then into the oven it goes.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR HOMEMADE GREEN ENCHILADAS:
- tortillas – we like flour but you can use white or yellow corn
- cheese – mozzarella, Mexican blend, cheddar, Colby jack or Monterey jack
- shredded chicken – we love using leftover chicken, rotisserie chicken, or home-canned chicken breast for a super speedy prep time.
- green enchilada sauce – I love home canned sauce, my recipe is roasted, tangy with a hint of spiciness.
- cilantro for garnish, optional
- sour cream, optional
HOW TO MAKE GREEN ENCHILADAS:
With your favorite sauce or a batch of my roasted green enchilada sauce in hand (or pan), making this green enchilada recipe is as easy as 1-2-3.
- Mix part of the green enchilada sauce and cheese with the shredded cooked chicken to form the filling.
- Fill each tortilla with filling, roll, and place in a grease baking dish. Top with remaining enchilada sauce.
- Bake until hot and bubbly. Add cheese. When the cheese is deliciously melty, ENJOY!
CAN I MAKE THIS RECIPE WITH RED ENCHILADA SAUCE INSTEAD OF GREEN?
Sure. If you have a favorite red enchilada sauce, feel free to switch it out for the green sauce. My family prefers the tangy tomatillo-based green enchilada sauce but if you prefer the red, by all means, don’t let me stop you.
I DON’T HAVE TIME TO MAKE YOUR ROASTED GREEN ENCHILADA SAUCE. WHAT CAN I SUBSTITUTE?
Do you have a favorite store-bought green enchilada sauce or salsa verde? You can use what you have on hand. I can’t vouch for the flavors but I can say it will be super easy to assemble these green enchiladas.
For the best flavor, the kind I talk about in this post, use my Roasted Green Enchilada Sauce recipe. It really does make all the difference and adds such a depth of flavor.
LIKE THIS RECIPE? YOU MAY ALSO LIKE THESE:
- The BEST Roasted Green Enchilada Sauce
- Home-Canned Chicken
- Spicy Red Mexican Pozole
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- Homemade Salsa
- Cilantro Ranch Dressing
HERE’S THE FULL PRINTABLE RECIPE FOR EASY CHEESY GREEN ENCHILADAS. ENJOY!
- 1 1/2 cups shredded chicken, about 1 lb raw or 12 oz cooked (we like to use home-canned, rotisserie, or leftover chicken)
- 2 cups shredded cheese, mozzarella, cheddar jack, colby jack, or Monterey jack
- 2 cups green enchilada sauce, about 16 oz
- 5-6 tortillas, 8-inch round
- sour cream for serving, optional
- cilantro for garnish, optional
- lime wedges for serving, optional
*Make the best Roasted Green Enchilada Sauce. The recipe can be found by clicking HERE*
- Preheat oven to 350'F.
- In a mixing bowl add cooked shredded chicken, about 1 cup cheese, 2/3 cup green enchilada sauce. Mix until combine.
- Using an 8x8 inch baking dish (or 9x9), add 1/3 cup green enchilada sauce to the bottom.
- Next, scoop about 1/2 cup filling into each tortilla. Roll tightly then place seam-side down in the baking dish. Repeat for all tortillas.
- Smoother the enchiladas with the remaining green enchilada sauce (about a cup).
- Bake at 350'F for 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Remove from oven and add remaining cheese. Place back in the oven until cheese is melted (about 5 minutes).
- Serve with sour cream, lime wedges, and cilantro if desired.
- If corn tortillas are preferred, heat enchilada sauce. Don't add to the bottom of the baking dish. Dip corn tortilla in the sauce for just a few seconds to soften. Fill, roll then place seam-side down in baking dish. Complete steps 5-7 as directed.