Pizza pinwheels are perfect for a party! Puff pastry filled with classic pizza goodness – garlic butter, cheese, and pepperoni. Ready in 30 minutes or less!
Pizza pinwheels are a great addition to any table. They bake up quickly and are fabulous for lunch, dinner, or a snack.
Their handheld size make them perfect for a party! Serve them with a large bowl of pizza sauce on the side and they will be a hit. Did someone say pizza party, Super Bowl party, potluck? These pizza pinwheels will be a winner at any of these parties or at the dinner table!
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PIZZA DOUGH AND PUFF PASTRY
Puff pastry is made with very thin layers of dough and butter. As the puff pastry is heated during the baking process each layer of dough puffs as the butter melts. You can actually see the butter sizzle as it is baked.
Puff pastry also has a light crisp texture were as pizza dough is a bread with more chew to it.
Pizza dough is a bread dough where gluten has formed to give it more structure and chew.
Even though puff pastry sheets and pizza dough can act as a base for pizza toppings I would recommend sticking with puff pastry for this recipe.
HOW TO MAKE PIZZA PINWHEELS:
Pizza pinwheels are very easy to make and can be ready in 30 minutes or less.
- Roll out puff pastry, spread garlic butter on dough.
- Sprinkle with cheese and pepperoni chunks or slices.
- Rollup and slice into 12 equal pieces.
- Brush with garlic butter or egg wash then bake.
- Serve with pizza or marinara sauce and enjoy!
PRO TIP #1: Use premade puff pastry dough. This can be found in the freezer section of most grocery stores near the frozen desserts. I buy the Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Dough. It comes in sheets of two. Thaw according to the package.
Pretty simple, right? They are so flavorful too.
DO YOU HAVE A PICKY EATER THAT DOESN’T LIKE PEPPERONI?
You can omit the pepperoni and make classic cheese pizza pinwheels.
HOW MANY PIZZA PINWHEELS DOES THIS RECIPE YIELD?
This recipe yields 24 pizza pinwheels. The puff pastry comes in two sheets. Each sheet will be rolled up and cut into 12 equal pieces (about an inch thick).
PRO TIP #2: Make the second roll when the 1st pinwheels are baking.
Only 12 pinwheels will fit on one cookie sheet. Thus you’ll need to cook in two batches.
Puff Pastry must stay cold. If it becomes too warm before baking the butter within the dough will soften and it will loose its “puff.”
If you want to make the two rolls side by side (all 24), place the 2nd sheet of finished pinwheels in the fridge or freezer until you’re ready to put it in the oven.
This recipe is great for parties and gatherings because it yields so many. They would be perfect for a fantastic Super Bowl party!
HAVE FUN AND GET “SAUCY!”
These pinwheels are fun because they can be served with traditional pizza sauce or other sauces such as:
- Ranch Dip
- Dill Dip
- Spaghetti Sauce
- Homemade Marinara
- Alfredo Sauce
- BBQ – if you’re feeling really adventurous 😉
PLANNING A PARTY? YOU MAY ALSO LIKE THESE RECIPES:
- REUBEN BOMBS
- MINI TURNOVERS
- PHILLY CHEESESTEAK STUFFED ROLLS
- EASY HOMEMADE SALSA
- INSTANT POT CARAMEL DIP
- EASY CANNOLI DIP
WHAT WILL YOU BE MAKING THESE FOR?
Whether you make these easy pizza pinwheels for lunch, dinner, snack or for a party, you can’t go wrong! Enjoy!
ENJOY THE FULL PRINTABLE RECIPE BELOW:
- 1 (17.3 oz) box Puff Pastry, 2 sheets, thaw according to package
- 2 cups shredded cheese (I used a pizza blend but you can use mozzarella)
- 4-6 oz pepperoni small chunks or thin slices
- garlic butter (recipe below)
- additional melted garlic butter or egg wash
Simple Garlic Butter:
- 4 Tbs butter, softened
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley flakes
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out puff pastry dough (see note). Spread 1-2 Tbs garlic butter on dough.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese over dough then add pepperoni chunks or slices.
- Carefully roll. Slice in 12 equal pieces (about 1 inch each) then place them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush with melted garlic butter or egg wash. This will help pinwheels become golden brown.
- Bake immediately at 400ºF for about 20 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
- Serve hot alongside sauce of your choice (pizza sauce, alfredo, ranch, etc).
SIMPLE GARLIC BUTTER:
1. Mix butter, garlic powder, salt and parsley flakes together. That's it!
For best results, use ONE puff pastry sheet at a time. If puff pastry dough becomes to warm it will affect the "flakiness" or "puff." If you'd like to make all the pinwheels at the same time, bake the first 12 then place the remaining 12 in the fridge or freezer until you're ready to bake them. Don't let them freeze as this will affect bake time.
*This post contains affiliate links. In order to support this blog and continue providing free content, I may receive a commission from purchases you make through the links in this post. This comes at no cost to you. It just helps me keep the delicious recipes coming. 🙂