Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes – fluffy, moist buttermilk pancakes topped with butter and your favorite syrup, jam or fruit. An easy breakfast comfort classic!We love breakfast at our house. Not only because it’s the most important meal of the day but because we get to enjoy classic comfort foods like these easy fluffy buttermilk pancakes. These buttermilk pancakes sometimes even make it onto our dinner table when it’s been a long day and breakfast for dinner is on the menu. These fluffy buttermilk pancakes are made from simple, down-home ingredients you probably already have in the pantry or fridge.
What ingredients do I need to make these fluffy buttermilk pancakes?
- baking soda and powder
- buttermilk (or buttermilk substitute – instructions below)
You can make your own homemade dry pancake mix with this buttermilk pancake recipe.On any given day you’ll find a gallon size bag of this dry buttermilk pancake mix in my pantry. This can cut down on prep time if you like to enjoy pancakes in a flash. I typically triple or quadruple the recipe. This gives me about 10-13 cups of dry mix. For our family of 6 (two adults and 4 little kids) a “half batch” is enough for us. That’s about 1 1/2 cups of the dry mix which makes about 8-9 5-inch pancakes. The dry mix will last in an airtight container or bag for a few months as long as it’s kept dry.You can find the full printable recipe card for these buttermilk pancakes below. If you’d like a printable recipe card for the dry mix, you can find that HERE.
I don’t have buttermilk. Can I use a buttermilk substitute?Yes! Buttermilk is the one thing I typically don’t keep on hand. Thankfully we always have milk and vinegar or lemon juice. If you find yourself in a bind and don’t have buttermilk, you can make a substitution by mixing regular milk and vinegar or lemon juice. To make a buttermilk substitution add 1 tablespoon vinegar OR lemon juice for each cup of milk. Let the mixture sour for 1-2 minutes before using.
These buttermilk pancakes are delicious with all kinds of toppings and additions!
- Homemade Buttermilk Salted Caramel Sauce
- 5-Minute Simple Berry Syrup
- 3-Ingredient Chocolate Mousse (chocolate whipped cream)
- Maple syrup
- Fresh fruit
- Jam or jelly
- Peanut butter
- Whipped cream
Additions to the buttermilk pancake batter:
- Chocolate chips
- Peanut butter chips
- Banana puree
Price Check ($)!These buttermilk pancakes are SOOOO cheap! Here’s the breakdown of what this recipe cost me. Prices of supplies may vary depending on location and store you purchase groceries from. I shop bulk food stores, use coupons, watch ads and shop sales (like case lot), and buy supplies in bulk to save on cost:
- Flour- $0.27
- Sugar – $0.05
- Baking powder- $0.01
- Baking soda- $0.02
- Salt- >$0.01
- Eggs- $0.24
- Buttermilk – $.50 (half that if you use milk and vinegar)
- Oil- $0.20
What’s your favorite buttermilk pancake topping or addition?For the printable recipe card for the DRY PANCAKE MIX, click HERE!Here’s the full printable recipe for these perfectly fluffy buttermilk pancakes. Enjoy!
- 3 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 cups buttermilk, or 2 cups milk + 2 Tbs vinegar or lemon juice, let sit 1-2 minutes to sour
- 1/2 cup oil
- Blend dry ingredients together.
- Add eggs, buttermilk and oil. Mix. Do not over mix. There should be some small lumps in the batter.
- Cook on a greased (butter or pan spray) heated skillet. Cook pancake on first side for 2-3 minutes or until several bubbles begin to surface on uncooked side.
- Flip and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Pancake is done when sides are golden brown and batter is cooked through.
- Top with butter, your favorite syrup, jam, peanut butter, etc.