Spicy ginger snap cookies are a perfect cookie for the holidays! These soft and chewy ginger snap cookies are sweet, spicy and deliciously bite-sized.
Ginger snap cookies are one of my all-time favorite cookies. One of my best friends growing up would make a plate of these delicious, soft, spicy cookies for my family every holiday season. THE BEST!
Shout out to my friend, Melissa! Thank you for sharing the love every holiday season. You are the reason for my love of soft and chewy ginger molasses cookies and the inspiration for this recipe.
These little babies are so flavorful with spices like cloves, ginger, and cinnamon bursting through.
If you are a ginger snaps fan you NEED to try this recipe! It’s amazing.
HOW DO I MAKE GINGER SNAP COOKIES?
These ginger snap cookies are pretty easy to make. Here are the steps I follow to get the perfect soft chewy cookie.
- Cream the butter, sugar, and molasses together.
- Creaming is just a fancy word to say mix or whip until fluffy and combined.
- Next, add an egg.
- Then add dry ingredients that have been blended together.
- Mix only until dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Scoop, roll in sugar and bake.
That’s it. It’s one of the easiest cookie recipes for Christmas.
I could dare say, this recipe can be mixed and baked in about 10-15 minutes. So when you’re in a crunch and need a quick treat… this ginger snap cookie recipe is perfect.
HOW DO YOU MAKE COOKIES THE SAME SIZE?
There are a few different technics that can help you keep your cookies the same size and shape.
The second, use a scoop, is my favorite and the easiest way to keep your cookies looking identical.
This size of scoop makes perfect bite-size ginger snap cookies like the ones you can buy in the store (but these ones taste SOOOOO much better–and they’re soft).
If you’re looking for a large size chewy molasses ginger cookie you can use this recipe and any size scoop you’d like. Just remember to adjust bake time. Larger cookies = longer back time.
I also like to use a size 40 scoop. This makes cookies that are about the size of the palm of my hand. Bake time increases to about 10-11 minutes.
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS HOLIDAY RECIPES?
- Gingerbread French Toast Bake
- Instant Pot Eggnog Cheesecake with Ginger Snap Crust
- 25+ Christmas Morning Breakfast Ideas
- Moist Walnut Applesauce Cookies
- Easy Andes Mint Fudge
- Soft Homemade Caramels
- Red-Nosed Reindeer Cake Pops
- 5-Minute Cherry Cheesecake
HERE’S THE FULL PRINTABLE RECIPE!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do, especially around the holidays!
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/4 cup sugar, plus additional for rolling
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream butter, sugar, and molasses until light and fluffy (1-2 minutes).
- Add egg and mix.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Add dry ingredients to sugar mixture. Mix only until flour mixture is completely mixed in.
- Using a 1.5 tsp scoop, form small cookie balls. Roll in sugar and place on a lined cookie sheet (35 total per sheet--5 rows of 7).
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 6 minutes.
- Repeat for remaining dough or refrigerate until ready to bake.
Dough can be stored in the fridge for up to 7 days.
*This post contains affiliate links. In order to support this blog and continue providing free content, I may receive a commission from purchases you make through the links in this post. This comes at no cost to you. It just helps me keep the delicious recipes coming.