A healthy Nutella recipe that tastes delicious! Chocolate hazelnut spread made right at home with a few healthy ingredients.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you!
I’ve been on a health journey over the last few months. Trying to eat clean, exercise more and be happier. Do you want to know what the hardest part of the journey is for me? The “eat clean” part but recipes like this healthy homemade Nutella recipe definitely takes the edge off because it tastes really good even though it’s a healthier version.
This easy clean-eating Nutella recipe only has a few simple ingredients in it and it tastes soooo delicious.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR HEALTHY NUTELLA RECIPE:
There are just 3-4 ingredients that make up this easy healthier Nutella recipe.
- Hazelnuts – roasted and salted or unsalted. If you go with unsalted you will want to add a 1/4 tsp sea salt to your Nutella recipe. This is the “4th” ingredient.
- Are my hazelnuts already roasted? Typically the skin of a hazelnut will slide of easily if they are roasted. If you are unsure if the hazelnuts you have purchased are roasted or not, try rolling the nut between a sheet of paper towel. If the skin comes of easy it is most likely roasted, if not you will need to roast them yourself.
- To roast hazelnuts, place them on a cookie sheet and bake at 325°F for about 10-12 minutes. This will help release the oils and offer a load more hazelnut-y flavor.
- You can leave the skins on or remove them before processing. Removing the skins may help the nuts become smooth faster.
- Cacao Powder – Cacao powder is less processed, not heated to as high of a temperature, and contains more nutritional value when compared to cocoa powder. Cacao powder also tastes darker or more bitter. If you only have or prefer cocoa powder, feel free to replace the cacao powder with cocoa powder.
- Sweetener – using a low or zero calorie sweetener reduces the carbs and sugar in this recipe. I prefer using Swerve confectioner sugar substitute. You can use Monk fruit sweetener or your favorite 1:1 sugar substitute. You can also use regular powdered sugar but this will make your Nutella less healthy as you will be adding refined sugar.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE NUTELLA:
Making Nutella at home is quite simple with the right tools.
Before starting, make sure you have access to a high powered blender or food processor. I love using my Blendtec blender to make nut butters and it does a great job making this Nutella recipe. If you don’t have a powerful enough processor or blender, the Nutella may come out chunky rather than smooth or be too thick, like a dough rather than a spread.
There’s only 2 steps to making this homemade Nutella recipe.
- Place roasted hazelnuts in blender or food processor. Process until smooth.
- Be patient with this step. Depending on your hazelnuts and appliance, this process may take up to 15 minutes. 1-2 minutes blending or processing with 2-3 minute breaks to allow for cooling. Repeat this until the desired consistency is achieved. The more you process the thinner the mixture will become.
- I have used hazelnuts from different companies and stores. I’ve had some that blended into smooth creamy Nutella within 2 minutes and other times when I was worried it wouldn’t thin but after patients and 15 minutes of repeating the process, it finally thinned out.
- Add sweetener, cacao or cocoa powder and salt to taste (if needed). And of course, enjoy!
HOW TO STORE HOMEMADE NUTELLA:
For best results, store this recipe covered in the fridge. This will extend the shelf life of this healthy hazelnut spread. This homemade Nutella can be stored covered in the fridge for several weeks. It can also be frozen for up to 4 months. I like to keep mine in a glass jar with a secured lid (not that it stays in there too long… it’s just so delicious)!
TRY YOUR HOMEMADE NUTELLA RECIPE IN THESE DELICIOUS RECIPES:
- Nutella Cookies – Like a classic peanut butter cookie but with Nutella. Super easy!
- Healthy Hazelnut Truffles – coming soon!!!
- Nutella Churro Donut Bites
- Chocolate Nutella Cheesecake Mousse
- 3-Ingredient Gianduia Sandwich Cookies
HERE’S THE FULL PRINTABLE RECIPE. ENJOY!
- 200 g hazelnuts, roasted, (about 1 1/2 cups) see notes regarding salt
- 2 Tbs cocao powder or cocoa powder
- 3-4 Tbs Swerve confectioner sugar substitute or other 1:1 sugar substitute
- Place roasted hazelnuts in food processor or blender. Process on high until mixture is smooth or reaches the desired consistency. Blend 1-2 minutes at a time with 2-3 minute breaks to avoid overheating mixture or appliance. Depending on your hazelnuts and the oil content within them, this process can take 2-10 minutes. The more you process the thinner the homemade Nutella will become.
- Add sweetener and cacao or cocoa powder. Blend for an additional 30 seconds or until combine.
- Store covered in the fridge for several weeks or freeze for up to 4 months.
- If you find your food processor or blender needs a little more mixture to actually work, you can double the recipe.
If using salted roasted hazelnuts no added salt is needed unless desired. If using unsalted hazelnuts, add 1/4 tsp sea salt to mixture.
Make sure to use a high power blender or food processor to make this recipe. If appliance is not powerful enough, Nutella will come out chunky rather than smooth.
If a sweeter chocolate hazelnut spread is desired add up to 6 Tbs sweetener. If a darker chocolate flavor is desired, add 3 tbs sweetener.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.