IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE YOU MAY ALSO LIKE THESE:
- Mint Marshmallow Chocolate Cookies
- S’mores French Toast Bread Pudding
- No-Churn Rocky Road Ice Cream
- Crockpot Hazelnut Hot Chocolate
Homemade Peppermint Marshmallows
Sweet pillows of fluffy, marshmallow flavored with mint. Any easy homemade marshmallow recipe ready in under an hour.
- 2 1/2 tbsp unflavored gelatin 3 individual packs
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp peppermint OIL or 2 tsp peppermint EXTRACT
- 8-12 drops green food coloring
Pour cold water into stand mixer. Sprinkle gelatin over water. Allow to soften at least 10 minutes.
Add water, corn syrup, salt, and sugar in medium-sized pot. Make sure to pour sugar into center of pot to avoid sugar crystals from getting on sides of pot.
Heat over medium-high heat for about 6-8 minutes until mixture hits 240 degrees Fahrenheit.
Make an aluminum foil sling inside pan. For thinner marshmallows, use a 9x13 inch pan. For thicker marshmallows, use a 7x11 inch pan. Spray foil with oil spray to avoid sticking.
Break up gelatin. With mixer on slow speed, slowly pour hot sugar mixture over gelatin.
Turn mixer to fast and whip for 8 minutes. Mixture will become white, fluffy and shiny. Reduce speed and add color and flavoring.
Return speed to fast and whip for an additional 2 to 4 minutes.
Immediately pour marshmallow mixture into prepared pan. Smooth and let cool. As it sets the marshmallow will become firm. Allow to cool at room temperature for 4-6 hours or in freezer for 30-45 minutes or until set.
Heavily sprinkle powdered sugar on top of marshmallow. Remove marshmallow from pan. Cut into desired shapes and sizes using warmed metal cookie cutters or a greased chef's knife.
Store in an airtight container. Will last for 4-6 weeks in fridge or 1-2 weeks at room temperature.
- To make vanilla marshmallows, omit peppermint flavoring. Add 1 tablespoon high-quality vanilla.
- Make marshmallow pops by placing marshmallow on stick. Refrigerate for 1 hour then dip in melted chocolate. Add sprinkles for a fun, festive twist.
- Dip on side of marshmallow in chocolate and add sprinkles for a quick and easy festive treat.
- Add to hot cocoa for a minty twist.
OP: 3.12.18 Updated: 2.26.19