- 1 lb 80/20 ground beef, $2.17
- 1/3 cup red bell pepper, diced small, $0.33
- 1/3 cup onion, diced small, $0.20
- 1/4 cup crushed croutons or dry bread crumbs, $0.25
- 2 eggs, $0.20
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, rough chop, $0.15
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder, $0.05
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, $0 had on-hand
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, $0 had on-hand
- 6-8 thin slices cheese, monetary jack, american, cheddar, pepper jack, etc, $2.25
- 4 hamburger buns or large lettuce pieces
- optional toppings, tomato, onion, lettuce, pickle, mayo, mustard, ketchup, etc.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix all ingredients except cheese.
- Split into 8 equal portions and press into patties.
- Add a 1/2 to 1 piece of cheese in the center of 4 patties. Make sure it doesn't hang over the side (you want it to seal). Encase cheese with second patty. Seal around edges.
- Grill on high heat (450 degrees) for 4-5 minutes per side or until burger reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees.
- Flip over and move to cooler part of grill, then top with slice of cheese. Serve.
If you choose to bake these cheeseburgers, bake at 400 degrees F. for 15-20 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160°F. Turn once. Add cheese 1-2 minutes before pulling out to allow it to melt.
Prices in this recipe are an estimate or sale price I received at the time this post was published.
The total estimated cost for these cheeseburgers were $5.60 or $1.40 per burger!