Full of garden fresh veggies, spicy jalapenos and a touch of basil, this Spicy Tomato Soup will bring the flavor and heat to any table. A perfect year-round soup!We love a little heat in our food especially my husband, Ryan. This Spicy Tomato Soup will bring the heat. Don’t get me wrong. I absolutely love this Creamy Tomato Basil Soup but sometimes a little spicy is good. This Spicy Tomato Soup is full of fresh veggies that have been roasted and pureed. It’s savory, spicy, smooth and sooo delicious! This soup comes together quickly. To get that beautiful roasted look and flavor the veggies do have to bake a while but it’s well worth the time. Once all the veggies are prepped, they go onto a sheet pan, drizzled with a little EVOO, hit with a dash of salt and pepper and roasted. Check out what they will look like before and after they’ve been hit with some heat. They get that gorgeous roasted glow. Don’t they look so good?! From here I remove the loose skins and pop the garlic cloves out of there skins. Using a blender, I love my BlendTec for this, I puree the roasted veggies. I put the puree in a stock pot with a little chicken broth, salt and pepper to taste, basil pesto, and a little sugar. When you are working with fresh veggies, sometimes you have to go by taste especially when it comes to sweetness. Some tomatoes will be very sweet and need little extra added sugar and others, not so much. Simmer for a few minutes, garnish with parmesan and basil. That’s it! Once the veggies are roasted, it comes together really fast. If you want to skip the stock pot and extra simmering, you can actually finish this Spicy Tomato Basil Soup right in your blender especially one that has a soup setting such as a BlendTec. By the way, these 45-Minute Basil Pesto Rolls go so nicely with this Spicy Tomato Soup. They have basil pesto inside and out and are ready in 45 minutes or less. Looking for other soup recipes? These ones are fabulous!
- 31/2 to 4 lbs tomatoes, halved, 10-15 roma tomatoes
- 1 large onion, cubed
- 1 bell pepper (red, orange or yellow), halved and seeded
- 2 jalapeno pepper (add more or less depending on how hot you want it), halved and seeded (keep seeds for more spicy)
- 8 large garlic cloves, skin on
- 3 large carrots, peeled, halved and cut 3-4 inch long
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- 1/2 to 2 tbsp sugar, to taste
- parmesan, garnish
- fresh basil , garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place all veggies on sheet pan, cut sides down. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake at 400 degrees F. for about 35-45 minutes until skins begin to blacken.
- Remove from oven. Remove loose skins from tomatoes and peppers. Pop garlic out of skins (remove skins). Place all roasted veggies into a blender. Puree.
- Pour puree into stock pot. Add basil pesto. Thin down with chicken broth (1.2 cup at a time) until consistency desired is reached. Add sugar to taste (1/2 tbsp at a time). Salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with parmesan and fresh basil.