Chicken & Potato Gnocchi Soup with fresh herbs is a fantastic soup on any night. This brothy soup is full of chicken, soft gnocchi, fresh veggies and herbs.This brothy soup is full of chicken, soft pillow-like gnocchi, fresh veggies and herbs. The whole family will love it. Preparations for this soup is similar to a classic chicken noodle soup but with fresh herbs and fluffy gnocchi in place of noodles, gives this soup a unique and delicious twist.My daughters love this soup. It’s hands-down one of their favorites and, with out fail, they will ask for seconds every time. It’s simple to make and full of fresh clean flavors. If you are looking for a healthy choice soup that won’t lack in flavor, this is it! Find the full printable recipe below.Here’s a little plug for all you penny pinchers like me… Zaycon Fresh for amazing quality meats! If you haven’t heard of or ordered from Zaycon Fresh, you totally need to check them out. They have a bunch of different meat products, from chicken and pork to beef steaks and ground meat. It’s all-natural, high-quality stuff for a fraction of supermarket price. I just ordered a 40lb case of chicken breast for less than $1.50 per pound. Crazy!
Zaycon Fresh for the WIN!Start by bringing the chicken broth to a boil. Add the chicken breast pieces and simmer. As the chicken is cooking, chop the magic trio veggies. Add the veggies to the simmering chicken stock.Let the chicken cook in the broth for 15-20 minutes until cooked through. Pull the chicken out, let cool slightly then shred or cube. Put the chicken aside. You’ll add the chicken back in when the gnocchi goes in.Once the veggies are crisp-tender (about 15 minutes from when they were added to the pot) add herbs, chicken and gnocchi. The chicken is already cooked and the gnocchi only takes a few minutes to cook. Below is a picture of an herb (basil, oregano, parsley) butter I make and freeze in the Fall. By making a freezer herb butter I can enjoy fresh herb flavors in my favorite dishes even when my herb garden is frozen over. It’s awesome!After just a few minutes, when the gnocchi is done, it will begin to float.The starch from the gnocchi will thicken the soup just a bit. Salt & pepper to taste and that’s it. This soup is so good (and good for you). It comes together very quickly too.If you are looking for a way to speed this soup up even more, use a leftover rotisserie chicken or home canned chicken and pre-cut veggies from the grocery store. You could have it made in less than 20 minutes! Who doesn’t love a quick soup like that?
Looking for more delicious soup recipes? Check these out:
- 8-10 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb chicken breast boneless skinless
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2-3 stalks celery, chopped
- 16 oz potato gnocchi, prepackaged or homemade
- 3/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot bring to boil chicken broth (I use water and granulated chicken bouillon, 1 cup water to 1 teaspoon bouillon).
- Cut chicken breast into 2 or 3 large chunks and add it to your boiling broth. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add veggies and continue simmering another 5 minutes.
- Remove chicken and let rest for a few minutes then shred or cube. (letting the chicken cool slightly will help retain moisture).
- Once veggies are crisp tender (total cook time about 10-15 minuteadd shredded chicken back in, fresh herbs and gnocchi.
- Bring to a boil and cook another 3-5 minutes until the gnocchi begins to float.
- Remove from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste then serve.
To speed up this recipe you may use rotisserie chicken or precooked chicken.