Upgrade your chocolate zucchini bread to this healthy low-carb version. Sweet, chocolatey and delicious with less than half the carbs a traditional zucchini bread contains.
I love summer and everything that comes with it, especially all the zucchini coming out of the garden.
With healthy challenges I’ve been experiencing lately, I decided to try a few low-carb recipes to see it would lessen some of the symptoms I was experiencing.
I’m a carb lover! Breads and sweets are my go-tos (and there’s probably a good enough reason why I’m feeling the way I have lately and why I should cut some carbs).
Going without sweets or bread is really tough. With all the summer zucchini coming out of the garden now, zucchini bread is a must. It’s a family favorite and tradition when the zucchini comes on.
I decided to develop a recipe for zucchini bread that would be lower in carbs but still taste good. That way, I can keep my carb intake lower but still enjoy some zucchini bread this summer.
HOW TO MAKE LOW-CARB ZUCCHINI BREAD:
Substitution is key!
This healthier chocolate zucchini bread was the result of my efforts. It’s filled with fresh zucchini, chocolate flavor and far fewer carbs than the traditional zucchini bread.
Like most quick breads (no yeast), you need dry ingredients, leavening agent, moisture and fat. All of these things have the traditional versions (i.e. flour, eggs, milk, butter). When you need to lessen the carbs, sugar, fat etc. there’s almost always a substitute that you can use to achieve it.
Here are a few things I switched to help this recipe stay delicious but lower the carb count.
- Flour –> almond flour and cocoa powder. Did you know? Cocoa powder will act like flour in recipes like this. you can substitute a small amount of cocoa powder in place of flour.
- Sugar –> zero-calorie sweetener
- Oil/fat –> applesauce (this also adds natural sweetness).
I replaced about half of the flour with almond meal and sweetened the bread with a zero-calorie (no carb) sweetener and unsweetened, homemade applesauce.
I also used cocoa powder to add the chocolatey twist. If you are a chocolate lover, feel free to add a cup of sugar-free chocolate chips to this bread. It adds a richness that’s divine!
IF YOU LIKE THIS LOW-CARB RECIPE YOU MAY ALSO LIKE THESE:
- Keto-Friendly Parmesan Zucchini and Brussels Sprouts – perfect for summer zucchini
- Healthy Banana Nut Bread – dairy-free, no sugar added, fewer carbs than traditional banana bread
- Easy Salmon Appetizer – low-carb, delicious as a snack or light lunch
- 5-Minute Healthy Dill Dip – easy to make and great with fish or veggies
- Easy Sugar-Free Lemonade – 3 ingredients and keto-friendly
DO YOU GROW YOUR OWN ZUCCHINI? HOW DO YOU LIKE TO USE IT?
Here’s the full printable recipe for this low-carb chocolate zucchini bread. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.
- 3/4 cup almond meal
- 3/4 cup flour, sifted
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 cups shredded zucchini, drained
- 1 1/4 cup zero-calorie sweetener (1:1 ratio see notes for more information)
- 2/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 large eggs (or 3 medium)
- 1 T vanilla
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 - 1 cup sugar-free chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- In a large bowl, mix sugar substitute, apple sauce, eggs, and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients. Blend only until just incorporated.
- Fold in zucchini and chocolate chips (if desired). Do not over mix.
- Pour into lightly greased 9x5" bread pan.
- Bake at 325 F for 45-55 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean.
Use a zero-calorie sweetener that has a 1 to 1 ratio to sugar. Using a sweetener that has a different ratio to sugar will alter the final product.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 119 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 23mg Sodium: 186mg Carbohydrates: 12g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 3g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 4g