Delicious Teriyaki Chicken Bowl layered with fluffy rice, sautéed veggies and low carb teriyaki chicken thighs. A fantastic recipe for healthy meal prep.
Looking for a delicious, healthy, easy meal better than takeout? This easy Teriyaki Chicken Bowl filled with veggies on a pile of rice is an excellent option.
This teriyaki chicken bowl is easy. It’s fast. It’s healthy.
And most importantly… it tastes amazing!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE HEALTHY TERIYAKI CHICKEN BOWL:
- Japanese Sake
- Monk fruit sugar (zero calorie sweetener)
- Chicken thighs
- Bell peppers
- Sesame seeds (optional)
- Cooked rice (optional but highly recommended)
CHICKEN BREAST VS CHICKEN THIGH:
I highly recommend using chicken thighs in this recipe. Chicken thighs are considered dark meat and contain additional fat. The additional fat in the thighs helps keep them moist and adds additional flavor.
On a keto diet? This recipe is absolutely the way to go minus the rice, extra veggies.
If you are looking to lean up this teriyaki chicken bowl recipe, feel free to use chicken breast chunks or slices. If you go this way and use chicken breast make sure not to overcook. This will dry the chicken out.
HOW TO COOK TERIYAKI CHICKEN IN A WOK:
This chicken is so good and easy to make. Start by heating a wok over high heat.
Once the wok is hot, add some high heat oil, I like to use coconut oil. Then add the chicken chunks.
Cook on high heat until the chicken chunks are browned but not cooked through, about 3 minutes. Remove browned chicken.
Next, add the healthy teriyaki sauce to the hot wok.
Let the sauce cook and thicken for 3-5 minutes stirring occasionally. Once the sauce has noticeably thicken add partially cooked chicken back into the wok and sauce. Cook until chicken is fully cooked through and sauce has thicken and darkened in color. There should be very little sauce loose in the pan.
That’s it. This whole process should only take 15-20 minutes if you’ve premade the teriyaki sauce.
Man, this chicken is so dang good!
HOW LONG DOES TERIYAKI CHICKEN BOWLS TAKE TO MAKE?
This recipe can be ready in 30 to 45 minutes. I love making a double or triple batch of my Healthy Teriyaki Sauce so it’s ready in the fridge for when we get a hankering for teriyaki chicken. If made ahead, this recipe can be ready in 20 minutes or so.
To shorten the time on cooking rice, try this Instant Pot Rice recipe. We make this recipe at least once a week and love how quick and easy it is. Throw everything in, hit go and let the Instant Pot do all the work.
Who likes food to be hot when it’s time to eat? I know, that shouldn’t even be a question.
To make this meal, and all of its pieces, come out hot and ready, this is how I do it.
- Make homemade Healthy Teriyaki Sauce. You can find the recipe HERE. Set aside until ready to use.
- Takes about 15-20 minutes to make.
- Start rice in Instant Pot. You can check out my favorite way to make rice in the Instant Pot with this Instant Pot Rice recipe.
- Takes about 25 minutes from start to finish.
- Heat wok over high heat, add a tablespoon of oil. Sauté the veggies to your preferred tenderness. I love my veggies crisp tender with a little char around the edges. If you like your veggies cooked more, feel free to do so.
- This will take 3-5 minutes depending on how crisp or tender you prefer your veggies.
- Start the chicken. Brown then remove. Add sauce and finish chicken in sauce.
- Takes about 20 minutes.
- On a bed of hot rice add veggies and chicken.
STORAGE AND REHEATING:
This meal is fantastic as a make ahead, leftovers or meal prep. Store leftovers or meal prep meals in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 5 days.
I love making this meal then storing leftovers in single serving glass containers that are easily reheated.
To reheat, place in a microwave safe container, lightly cover. Microwave on high for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. If not fully heated through. Microwave for an additional 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Enjoy!
IF YOU ENJOY THIS RECIPE, YOU MAY ALSO LIKE THESE:
HERE’S THE FULL PRINTABLE RECIPE. ENJOY!
- 1 Tbs coconut oil
- 2 bell peppers, cubed (orange, yellow, green or red)
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced (save green tops for garnish)
- 2 cups broccoli crowns, bite-sized pieces
- 2 lbs chicken thighs, boneless, skinless cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 cup homemade Healthy Teriyaki Sauce (mirin, sake, tamari, monkfruit sugar)
- cooked rice
Prepare homemade Healthy Teriyaki
Sauce. Find my favorite Healthy Teriyaki Sauce recipe HERE.
Start rice so it is hot and ready
when you are ready. Find my favorite Instant Pot Rice recipe HERE.
- Prepare homemade Healthy Teriyaki Sauce. Find my favorite Healthy Teriyaki Sauce recipe HERE.
- Start rice so it is hot and ready when you are ready. Find my favorite Instant Pot Rice recipe HERE.
- In a hot wok over high heat, add 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil and veggies. Stir fry until desired tenderness. 3-5 minutes. Remove veggies from wok.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil in hot wok. Add chicken chunks to hot wok. Stir fry and brown chicken for 3-5 minutes. Do not cook chicken all the way through. The chicken will finish cooking in the sauce. Once chicken is browned remove from wok.
- Add sauce to hot wok. Boil for 4-5 minutes until sauce begins to thicken. Add browned chicken chunks into sauce. Constantly stir chicken and sauce until sauce has thickened completely. (5-7 minutes) and until the internal temperature of the chicken chunks reaches 165F.
- Assemble in bowls with rice on the bottom and veggies & chicken on top. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds if desired.
This recipe is fantastic for meal prep leftovers.
If veggies become cold before assembly, feel free to add veggies back in right before removing teriyaki chicken from pan.
*This post may contain affiliate links. Thank you for helping support this blog and the ability to keep the recipes coming.