Three beautiful layers of crisp shortbread, soft caramel, and rich chocolate. Easy to make and oh-so-good, everyone will want seconds with these Homemade Twix Bars!
Ok, guys! I’ve been a little out of it over the last month or so. I’m sure some of you have too. With everything that’s going on in the world and as much as I have felt the lack of motivation to share recipes recently, something changed for me today.
Being home with my girls 24/7 has been new & different and frankly difficult at times. I made a choice today, to get back to my happy place one recipe at a time starting with these delicious Homemade Twix Bars everyone needs to know about.
Being in my kitchen and sharing my passion for food is such a positive outlet for me. It brings smiling faces to my table (actually counter now because we just remodeled our kitchen and no longer have a dining table–more about this coming soon 🙂 ).
When craziness is going on in the world, it’s important to still find things within your means that make you happy. Kitchen Cents is that for me. Food is love and when I share recipes like these twix bars I’m sharing my love.
Alright, now that I’ve shared all my mushy-gushy feelings on the subject, let’s share some happy vibes (aka. these Homemade Twix Bars – YUM!!!)
These Homemade Twix Bars are soooo good and pretty easy to make. You may already have everything you need to make a pan of them. Bonus!
I love Twix bars. The crisp shortbread cookie topped with a layer of soft caramel and dipped in chocolate. Yes, please!
Making a twix-like bar at home may be easier than you think. If I had realized years ago that this was the case I’d weigh… well let’s just say I’d probably be even more “fat & happy.” 😉
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE HOMEMADE TWIX BARS:
The great thing about this recipe is that it can be made 100% from scratch or substitutions can be made to make it even easier. Here’s what you’ll need:
- shortbread cookie base (flour, powdered sugar, butter, and vanilla)
- caramel (sweetened condensed milk, corn syrup, brown sugar, butter, and vanilla OR store-bought caramel squares and a dash of cream)
- chocolate (chocolate with a bit of oil to soften it)
These layers come together quickly and are so delicious!
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE TWIX BARS:
- Make shortbread dough. Press dough in 8×8 pan lined with parchment paper. Bake.
- Make homemade caramel (or unwrap and heat store-bought caramel squares and 2 tablespoons cream, stir until combine and smooth).
- Once the shortbread is cooled, spread warm smooth caramel over shortbread. Let cool.
- Heat chocolate and oil together in the microwave (30 seconds at a time stirring in between until smooth).
- Pour and smooth over cooled caramel layer.
- Refrigerate until chocolate is fully set (30 min – 2 hours depending on how cool the caramel layer was when chocolate was added).
- Cut into squares and ENJOY!
IF YOU LIKE THIS DESSERT YOU MAY ALSO LIKE THESE :
- SOFT HOMEMADE CARAMELS – one of our family’s favorite Christmas recipes we enjoy year-round.
- SNICKERS CHEESECAKE BARS – No-bake and filled with classic snickers candy bar flavors.
- GOURMET CARAMEL APPLES – perfect edible gift and can be made for $1.50 or less!
- DOUBLE CHOCOLATE CREAM PIE – easy to make, semi-homemade
HERE’S THE RECIPE:
I hope you find some happiness in this recipe. We sure do every time I make them. Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 12 oz homemade caramel (Soft Homemade Caramels recipe link in notes) OR 12 oz store-bought caramel squares (if using store-bought caramel add 1-2 tablespoons cream to soften)
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips (milk, semi-sweet or bitter-sweet, whichever you prefer)
- 1-2 tsp. oil (vegetable or canola)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 8x8 or 7x11 inch pan with parchment paper.
- Using a stand mixer or electric hand mixer, blend butter and powdered sugar together until creamed (1-2 minutes). Add vanilla.
- Mix in flour until combined. The mixture will be clumpy but as you continue to mix it will come together.
- Press dough evenly onto the bottom of the pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350°F for 17-19 minutes or until edges begin to brown and middle has cooked through.
- Let cool before adding caramel.
- Make homemade caramel (FIND RECIPE HERE - you'll have some extra caramel with this recipe) OR heat 12 oz store-bought caramel squares with 1-2 tablespoons cream).
- Heat caramel until smooth and pourable.
- Pour caramel over cooled shortbread base.
- Let caramel layer cool and set before adding Chocolate layer. To speed up cooling, place in refrigerator or freezer.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave your preferred flavor of chocolate chips with 1-2 tsp oil for 30 seconds at a time stirring in between. (about 60 seconds). Heat until chocolate is smooth after stirring.
- Pour and smooth chocolate over cooled caramel layer.
- Refrigerate until chocolate is fully set (30 min - 2 hours depending on how cool the caramel layer was when chocolate was added).
- Cut into squares and ENJOY!
HOMEMADE CARAMEL RECIPE can be found here --> https://kitchencents.com/soft-homemade-caramels/
Shortbread cookie recipe adapted from my friend, Danielle, over at Live Well Bake Often.