Sweet strawberries dipped in rich chocolate, drizzled with elegant white chocolate or festive sprinkles makes these Chocolate-Covered Strawberries are a perfect light dessert for Valentine’s day or special occasion.
I love chocolate and I love strawberries but do you know what makes these two things even better? Having them together with someone you love.
Chocolate-covered strawberries are a perfect dessert to share with friends, family or your special someone on Valentine’s Day, or really any special occasion.
These strawberries dipped in chocolate are amazing and amazingly easy to make.
A lot of grocery store bakery’s have begun making these little gems around Valentine’s Day. They tend to be made days before you buy them and are one to two dollars EACH. That’s crazy!
Make these chocolate-covered strawberries at home for a fraction of the cost and they’re guaranteed to be fresh.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE-COVERED STRAWBERRIES?
This easy dessert, although simplistic in its making, is everything but simple. These chocolate-covered strawberries are elegant, festive, flavorful and sweet.
To make chocolate-covered strawberries, there are only a few steps:
- Wash and FULLY dry berries
- Melt chocolate with a little oil (the oil helps the chocolate be softer and easier to bit into when chilled without losing chunks of chocolate from the berry)
- Dip berries in melted chocolate (add sprinkles or colored sugar before chocolate sets if desired or let set to add white chocolate drizzle)
- Melt and drizzle white chocolate if sprinkles or colored sugar aren’t used.
That’s it! It really is that easy but as you can see, they are beautiful. They can be elegant for any occasion with white chocolate drizzle or fun and festive with colorful sprinkles.
WHY MAKE CHOCOLATE-COVERED STRAWBERRIES AT HOME?
- Cheaper! This easy dessert is cheaper to make at home than buy from a specialty shop or the grocery store. You’ll pay one to two dollars a berry in the store but can make them at home for a fraction of that cost. Think about it for a second, $2/lb strawberries, $2 for chocolate, $0.50 for +sprinkles or white chocolate = $4.50 for a batch of 10-20 berries (depending on the size of berries you get in your lb). That breaks down to $0.22-$0.44 each depending on the size of the berries you get.
- Fresher! You make them when you want them. They don’t have to sit at room temp or in the fridge for days before enjoying. They only take about 30 minutes to make so you can make them right before you’d like to enjoy them or a day before.
- Control ingredient quality. You can pick and choose the berries and chocolate you use. You don’t have a choice when buying premade and if you do, higher quality will be more pricy.
- Make them with your own style. You can make them with your favorite sprinkles, drizzle them with chocolate or cut them in half and make fully-dipped chocolate hearts. See below on how I do that. When buying premade you get what you get and that’s it.
HEART-SHAPED HALF STRAWBERRIES!
If you’re looking for a great treat that’s more like something you’d find in a box of chocolates try these fully-dipped strawberry halves.
These dipped strawberries are super fun for a couple of different reasons.
First, there’s no stem. The stem is removed and the strawberry is cut in halve.
This leads me to the next reason.
Second, they are smaller than a full strawberry so they are easier to pop in your mouth WHOLE. Cleaner and easier to eat.
Third, after removing the stem and cutting the berry in half, they can be shaped like a heart before dipping in chocolate. How fun is that?! My girls thought they were so cute.
Even though the berry has been cut before dipping, they will keep for a few day if stored in the fridge and up to a month if frozen.
Side note, these are awesome frozen. They make for a great summer frozen treat.
The chocolate that completely coats them acts as a protective casing.
P.S. If you like the idea of a healthier frozen strawberry treat you have to try these Chocolate Covered Strawberry Popsicles. SOOOO good, especially through the heat of the summer!
WHAT ARE THE STEPS TO MAKING HEART-SHAPED CHOCOLATE-COVERED STRAWBERRIES?
- Wash and dry berries. Remove stems and cut in half. Shape like a heart if desired.
- Put in freezer for 15-30 minutes. You want them really cold but not frozen.
- Melt chocolate.
- Dip chilled berries in chocolate, fully coating. Then place on parchment paper or waxed paper.
- Add sprinkles immediately before chocolate sets OR chill then add drizzled melted white chocolate.
- Store in the fridge for up to 5 days or freeze for up to a month for a delicious cool treat.
LOOKING FOR MORE VALENTINE’S RECIPES? YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY THESE:
- 3-INGREDIENT CHOCOLATE MOUSSE – so easy, ready in under 5 minutes. Awesome with strawberries!
- RASPBERRY ELCAIRS – bursting with fresh raspberry flavor. The filling is a beautiful pink color.
- VALENTINE’S TURTLE PRETZELS – sweet, salty and super fast and easy to make.
- 5-MINUTE CHERRY CHEESECAKE – only a few ingredients and no baking required!
- My Grandma J’s HEART-SHAPED SUGAR COOKIES – a family tradition and favorite recipe.
WHO WILL YOU BE SHARING YOUR CHOCOLATE-COVERED STRAWBERRIES WITH?
HERE’S THE FULL PRINTABLE RECIPE. ENJOY!
Easy Chocolate-Covered Strawberries
Sweet strawberries dipped in rich chocolate, drizzled with white chocolate or sprinkles. Chocolate-Covered Strawberries are perfect for Valentine's Day.
- 1 lb strawberries, washed and fully dried
- 1 1/2 cups (12 oz) chocolate or chocolate chips, high quality-with cocoa butter is best
- 1/2 - 1 Tbs oil, vegetable or coconut oil (*see notes)
- white chocolate or sprinkles, optional but highly recommended
- Melt chocolate and oil in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time. Stirring in between until melted and smooth. (usually takes 60-90 seconds).
- Holding the stem of the strawberry, carefully dip strawberry into chocolate. Slowly turn berry until coated as desired. Please on waxed paper or parchment paper for easy release after cooling.
- Immediately sprinkle with sprinkles or colored sugar OR let cool if drizzling with white chocolate.
- If drizzling with white chocolate, melt chocolate in microwave 20-30 seconds at a time, stirring in between. (*see notes). Pour melted white chocolate into a disposable piping or ziploc bag. Snip a small hole in the tip then pipe drizzle the white chocolate over the chocolate covered strawberries (after the chocolate has set and hardened).
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days (note though that fresh is best) or enjoy immediately.
- *vegetable oil will make the chocolate coating softer and melt quicker when it's warm. Coconut oil will allow chocolate to set just as hard when chilled but will allow some additional softness at room temperature.
- I typically like to use vegetable oil as it allows the chocolate to be slightly softer even at chilled temperatures. We usually serve our chocolate-covered strawberries chilled (right from the refrigerator).
- For easier dipping, pour melted chocolate into a narrow bowl or cup. This allows you to easily dip the whole strawberry without having to turn it as much.
- If using white chocolate to drizzle, for one pound of strawberries you'll only need 1/4 cup white chocolate chips or less depending on how heavy your drizzle is.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
*This post contains affiliate links. In order to support this blog and continue providing free content, I may receive a commission from purchases you make through the links in this post. This comes at no cost to you. It just helps me keep the delicious recipes coming. ?
Leave a Reply